Part of Yellowstone National Park to Open May 18th
Posted: May 13, 2020 by Mark Corner
Yellowstone National Park announced today a 3 phased opening beginning on May 18th. On May 18th at 12 pm, the Park will open the East entrance and the South entrance ONLY and access to the southern loop of the Grand Loop road. You can only exit the park through these same two entrances.
This opening will include access to restrooms, self service gas stations, trails and boardwalks. What will NOT be open is:
- The Montana entrances (North, West, and Northeast) will remain closed. The park is consulting with the Governor of Montana to establish reopening dates for the Montana entrances.
- Commercial tour buses will not be allowed in the early phases of opening.
- Overnight accommodations will be unavailable until later in the season.
- Campgrounds, backcountry permits, visitor cabins, additional stores, expanded tours, takeout food service, boating, fishing, and visitor centers will remain closed. These Phase 2 services and/or facilities will open when safe and appropriate mitigation measures are in place. This will happen at different times.
- Hotels, full-service dining, commercial tour buses, and ranger programs will remain closed. These Phase 3 services and/or facilities will reopen when health conditions allow.
Wyoming has lifted their "Out of state visitor" 14 day self quarantine which is why the Wyoming entrances will open first. Montana and Idaho still have their "Out of state visitor" 14 day self quarantine so those entrances will not open until those states lift that restriction.